Friday, August 15, 2008

What's Going On Here?

Well... for starters I decided to try a new color scheme. I was getting tired of the light blue/dark blue look and these old eyes of mine were finding it harder to read the text. So now we have a light tan background with a clean red, blue and black for text and links. I've already got some positive feedback (mainly about better readability) and have begun changing over pages at the website. It will take a while for the change-over to be completed but I hope you will all think it a change for the better.

***************************

About a year ago I thought it would be cool to put jukeboxes on the Flashbacks pages. I've been watching the stats for those pages and it seems I was wrong. While the Flashbacks pages are still popular they are getting nowhere near the hits that the database with the individual clickable/downloadable music links were stored. I think a big reason for this is that you can't download the songs from the jukebox to save on your own PC.

Ok, I learned my lesson and the database links are going back up and the jukeboxes are coming down. The database links were visited by over 60 counties around the world with hundreds of clicks per day so I'm gonna go with the majority on this call.

A little about the music: All music files at Flashbacks will be in Windows Media Audio format (.wma - streaming audio). When a link is clicked your default media player should open and begin streaming the file. Depending on your settings you may be prompted to download the file first. Make sure your default player is set to accept and play streaming audio files. If you would rather save the file to your PC for play later just "right click/save target as" and it's yours. All Flashbacks music files have been optimized for play on your personal computer and in thier current form will not play on standard home or auto CD players. However you can save and burn them to a disk that will play on any PC.

I going to start by loading up 25 songs in each year from 1965 to 1975 which will be quite a bit more songs than are currently in the Jukes. So that you can all get an idea how this will turn out I have already made the changes to the 1968 page at the website. http://geronimo-vietnam.com/1A/1968.html The rest will follow as soon as I can get them coded.

*****************************

Have you ever asked yourself "what's with the google ads here at the blog and around the website?" Well the answer is "I put them there." A little over a year ago I applied to be a member of the Google AdSense program. They checked the site out for about a week and it was accepted. The idea was to see if I could earn enough money to offset my web hosting fee which is about $10.25 a month. This is not a high volume website. It's primarily a site aimed at Vietnam veterans of a specific military unit and there ain't a whole lot of us out there. A nice thing about the AdSense program is that it creates ads based on the content of the pages they are on and that's why you see a lot of military oriented stuff advertised here.

The first day ads were displayed here was April 1st, 2007 almost exactly 16.5 months ago. Here are the actual stats for that time period as of today. Page impressions (how many times a page with ads was viewed) 31,082, how many times an ad was clicked 838, Total earnings $102.61 (about 20 cents a day - $6.22 a month) This is not a get rich quick scheme but it's putting a nice dent in my webhosting fees.

Please don't get me wrong on this. I'm in no way suggesting visitors here start randomly clicking on ads. Google is not stupid and will notice any radical changes. I do not want to be kicked out of this program so please be cool. My intent is just to make you aware of the fact that when an ad is clicked the Geronimo website will benefit. If an ad does catch your eye keep that in mind.

Now you know!

later, Joynt

No comments:

Post a Comment