Sunday, August 24, 2008

Alpha vet Johnny Conroy in Alaska

John recently had a chance to visit Alaska and took that opportunity to visit todays active duty A 1/501 Geronimo's at Ft. Richardson Alaska. Here is his short account of what took place along with a photo.


I arrived at Fort Richardson on 30 July and made it to the battalion at about 1000 hours. No one home. The whole battalion was out for a run "up the mountain" according to the exec for HHC. I looked at the surrounding mountains and was quite awed. I agreed to come back in an hour and went to the PX to browse.
I arrived at the Company A barracks at 1105 hours. I entered and asked the SP4 on Charge of Quarters to see the first sergeant. Not there. I asked for the CO, XO, or any officer. Not there. All Officers and senior NCO's in the battalion were off training or seminaring or something. So I asked the CQ to get me the senior NCO present. He did. Staff Sergeant Schenk arrived and took me into the CO's office. I told him I was there to present a flag, signed by 31 combat veterans of Company A in Nam, to the current company as a show of respect and support for all of their efforts. SSG Schenk asked me to write contact data on the Captain's eraser board. I wrote my email address, and Cpt Zapert's email address and his message to the C O. I did, while SGT Schenk went out in the hall and gave a few orders. He returned and I told him that Val Zapert wished to be the liason between the company and us old-timers in order to coordinate equipping the troops with anything they need and can't get through channels for their next deployment.
He then took me back outside the barracks where he stated, sounding disappointed, that he could only get about a platoon of men together. All 20 men available were formed into ranks, wondering what was up.
I was plannning on addressing the troops and telling them how much we honor them and their service, but SSG Schenk began by introducing me to the men and going into detail about how I was one of the guys who went before them and made the battalion what it was, etc, etc. I was very humbled.
When I addressed the formation I did tell them that we appreciate their service and sacrifices, and pointed out that, although the flag was a 101st flag and they belonged to the 25th Infantry Division now, only Company A combat vets of the Viet Nam War signed the flag, it was their martial heritage, and I was proud to present it to them. It was quite an emotional moment for me. SSG Schenk and I opened the flag up and held it up for them, and he addressed them again, telling them more of the same about guys from our era.
I spoke a few final words and the formation was dissolved. Every man who left formation spontaneously got into a line and shook my hand, thanking me for what I had done in Nam. I was shocked and unable to speak. When SP4 Velez (I hope the name is right) reached out to shake my hand he gave me the subdued plastic CIB he had removed from his uniform, and thanked me. What an honor! I am not going to part with that.
Anyway, a few of the guys had asked questions as we shook hands, or afterward. At least half a dozen asked me if I was in the A Shau. I couldn't believe they even knew of the place. I learned that when they arrive for duty in the battalion they are given a pretty thorough history lesson on the battalion's past. It is to instill pride in them, I suppose.
I went to the Colonel's office, inspected the gladius there, had my photo taken with the regimental flag of our day, and received a command challenge coin from the colonel's clerk.
Those guys just all treated me like gold. I tried constantly to turn the tables and thank them, but I think they knew that we appreciate them and they were more interested in me as a Geronimo soldier of old.
I decided to hit the road since I have been known to say the wrong thing and screw up a perfect time. In doing so, I left in good standing.
I could not make it back to watch the battalion parachute jump later in the week as invited, but will never forget the time I spent there.
I was really inpressed with these guys. They are always positive, professional, courteous, and respectful. Twenty of America's finest paratroopers, how could I not be overawed? The brigade will deploy (probably to Afghanistan) before year's end. Most of the men in the formation have at least one prior combat deployment because they are wearing (besides jump wings and CIB's) 25th ID patches and AIRBORNE tabs on their right shoulder (One guy wore a USMC patch on his right, but he had seen the light). SSG Schenk has been in the company for 9 years, and has no desire to transfer. That's what these guys think of their unit.
It wasn't such a short report after all, nor was the visit that will last a lifetime for me.
Click photo to enlarge.




Thanks John, a really classy move on your part.

2 comments:

  1. I am glad you had a chance to connect with some of the new generation of 501st paratroopers. I was with the Battalion during the Iraq deployment and considering what we found when what we got there and the way we left things, I could not be anything but proud of our achievements while we were over there. We took pride in 501st history and hoped we lived up to the high standards set before us.

    Funny, the 501st has kind of a red-headed step child reputation as the only historically 101st unit not still with the 101st, but at least we could call ourselves Paratroopers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for those comments T and you can be sure we namvets are proud of your efforts over in those mideast hellholes.
    The 501st will always be a top notch outfit regardless of what division they are assigned to and I wouldn't be surprised if you are back with the 101st somewhere down the line.
    We are trying to keep track of you guys and would appreciate any news or pics you would care to share. I told Conroy I would make a webpage for you all and right now I'm just looking for stuff to put on it.
    Kind of ironic that you have the same sort of crying libtard wimps that don't want to win to deal with just like we had back in the day. I have confidence we will prevail this time.
    Thank you T, thank all you guys.

    ReplyDelete