Sunday, May 30, 2010

It's That Time Again

When we all take a brief time out to reflect on the sacrifices so many have made to keep this country free and strong. I've never really felt comfortable with saying "Happy" Memorial Day though. I'm gonna be grilling and drinking some beers and enjoying the Indy 500 and stuff but somewhere along the line in the next 48 hours I'm gonna break down and cry. I know it's coming, I just don't know what will trigger it.
Earlier this week I visited the "We Remember" page and I noticed something that I never picked up on in the ten years that page has been on the internet. The bulk of all A 1/501 casualties happened during the months of January through August. In 1968 the last casualty of the year was Alan J. Meisheid on September 10th. Then there was an almost unbelievable stretch of eight months before Lloyd W. Jones was KIA on April 18, 1969. With the NVA, VC, booby traps, accidents and disease all around us that's quite remarkable. Lloyd's death was followed by two more on May 25th, two more on June 7th, another on June 9th and two more in August. Then none until January 1970. David L. Womble was the last KIA of 1970 on July 7th. Once again all was quiet until January 1971. Interesting how that played out.
Check it out here WE REMEMBER

I hope all of you have a safe and enjoyable holiday with family and friends. I'll be thinking about you.

later, Joynt

2 comments:

  1. AnonymousMay 30, 2010

    And I am thinking about you, Gary, as well as all the guys that did not come back home alive.
    I kind of cringe when wished a Happy Memorial Day, too. I think the people don't understand the difference between Veterans Day and Memorial Day.
    Take care.
    John Conroy

    ReplyDelete
  2. AnonymousMay 30, 2010

    Memorial Day is every day for veterans and families who have lost their loved ones in war.

    Pritchett, you are always in my thoughts!

    Manny Mangual

    ReplyDelete